Vultures: Cheat Sheet
Stuff You Need to Know:
- We can thank vultures for feeding on the dead bodies of sickly animals and thereby curbing the proliferation of bacteria.
- Feeding on diseased animals typically isn't a problem for vultures due to their incredibly powerful stomach acid that can break down the meat quickly, before any pathogens have a chance to infect it.
- You may want to refrain from scaring a vulture, should the temptation ever arise. Here's why: Vultures are famous for inducing vomiting when threatened, and they're not the only members of the avian family to do so.
Now, test your animal knowledge with these quizzes!
- The Ultimate Bird Photography Quiz
- Sit, Stay, Think: Sniff Out the Answers in Our War Dog Quiz
- Avoid Being Eaten: Test Your Dragon Lore
- Fact or Fiction: Surviving an Animal Attack
- How do bomb-sniffing dogs work?
Check out these related articles!
- Could scientists resurrect the dodo bird?
- How can owls fly silently?
- Does a pelican's bill hold more than its belly can?
- What if an astronaut took his/her pet bird into space? Would it still be able to fly?
- How do ducks float?