From ears to fur, seals and sea lions may be related, but they certainly aren't the same. Prove your knowledge on these cousins at HowStuffWorks.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- How Vision Works
- What is electroreception and how do sharks use it?
- How Walruses Work
- How Whales Work
- How can dolphins disarm sea mines?
- How many sharks are killed recreationally each year -- and why?
- How does a "bionic eye" allow blind people to see?
- Which of today's animals lived alongside dinosaurs?
More Great Links
- Eliot, John L. "Manatee senses: Hair-raising." National Geographic. October 2002.
- Goode, Erica. "Sleek? Well, No. Complex? Yes, Indeed." The New York Times. Aug. 29, 2006. (Aug. 26, 2008)http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/29/science/29mana.html
- Griebel, U. and Schmid, A. "Color vision in the Manatee (Trichechus manatus)." Vision Research. Vol. 36, no. 17. 1996. (Aug. 26, 2008)http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=3171356
- "Manatees." SeaWorld. (Aug. 26, 2008)http://seaworld.org/Animal-info/info-books/manatee/scientific-classification.htm
- "Manatee Mortality Table." Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. March 12, 2008. (Aug. 26, 2008)http://research.myfwc.com/engine/download_redirection_process.asp?file=2007_Cumulative_Category_Final_12March08.pdf&objid=11693&dltype=article
- Newman, Lucy A. and Robinson, Phyllis R. "The visual pigments of the West Indian manatee (Trichechus manatus)." May 2, 2006. (Aug. 26, 2008)http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6T0W-4JVTBM6-3&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=b9655fe43f86c4de52e7c5e907519b53
- Powell, James. "Manatees: Natural History & Conservation." Voyageur Press. 2002. (Aug. 26, 2008)http://books.google.com/books?id=eJrnLgsJmHMC
- Ripple, Jeff and Perrine, Doug. "Manatees and Dugongs of the World." Voyageur Press. 2002. (Aug. 26, 2008)http://books.google.com/books?id=SRnfHWvC6s8C
- "Visual Acuity." Mote Marine Laboratory. (Aug. 26, 2008)http://isurus.mote.org/~hughbuffett/pages/Research/research2.vis.phtml
- Wong, Kathleen. "The Hairy Senses of Manatees." Science Now. March 18, 2002.