Your dog is loveable and can be fashionable, too. By making dog clothes at home, your dog's attire can suit the weather, the holiday season or your wardrobe. And it's much easier than you might think. Follow these simple instructions and your dog will have the most stylish outfits at the doggie park.
- Decide what outfit you want to make for your dog. Aside from celebrating the season by dressing up as Santa or Cupid, there are practical reasons to dress your dog. If you live in a cold climate, your short-haired dog will enjoy a warm sweater or paw protectors for those midwinter walks.
- Choose a fabric. Remember to choose fabrics that are easy to work with and that will be comfortable for your dog. Fabrics with stretch are easier to work with and easier to put on and take off of your dog.
- Measure your dog with a tape measure. Measure up one front limb, across the legs and down the other front limb. This measurement will determine the garment's length. Next, measure the circumference of your dog's neck. This measurement will determine the size of the collar. Then measure the length of your dog's torso from the end of the neck to the beginning of the tail. This measurement will determine the size of the garment's body. Finally, measure your dog's width around the back and stomach. This will determine the garment's chest size. Record all of the measurements.
- Draw the pattern on paper using the measurements that you recorded. If you don't feel comfortable creating a pattern, you can find many pattern books and online patterns. Online patterns can be resized to fit your dog's measurements.
- Pin the pattern to your fabric and cut along the edge of the pattern.