Scientific name: Xiphophorus variatus
Another species of platy, the Variatus Platy is found less commonly in stores because some varieties don't acquire full coloration until almost mature.
The Variatus Platy does well in slightly cooler water than other platy
species -- 66º to 74º Fahrenheit -- with a pH between 7.0 and 8.2. Moderately to relatively hard water is best. All flake and freeze-dried foods are taken. Be sure to offer flake food with high vegetable content.
To learn more about freshwater aquariums, see:
- Aquarium Basics
- How to Choose Aquarium Equipment
- How to Set Up an Aquarium
- How to Maintain an Aquarium
- How to Choose Aquarium Fish
- How to Care for Aquarium Fish
- Freshwater Aquarium Fish