Lots More Information
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Do fish feel pain?
- Are frogs on the brink of extinction?
- How can a catfish grow so big?
- What's depleting salmon populations?
- What happens to whales when they die?
- Why are orca called killer whales?
- Is sport fishing bad for the environment?
- Why would there be no more fish in 40 years?
- How Colony Collapse Disorder Works
- Could a fungus cause the extinction of bats?
- Can salamanders regrow body parts?
- Are there really hallucinogenic frogs?
More Great Links
- Bossart, Gregory. Personal Correspondence. Georgia Aquarium. (3/5/2010)
- "Feather Plucking and Self-Mutilation in Pet Birds." Avian and Exotic Animal Hospital. (3/8/2010)http://www.avianexoticanimalhospital.com/documents/FeatherPluckingandSelf-Mutilation.pdf
- Hosey, Geoff and Skyner, Lindsay. "Self-injurious Behavior in Zoo Primates." International Journal of Primatology. Oct. 27, 2007. (3/8/2010) http://www.springerlink.com/content/71j2x06311731453/
- Marshall, Kim. "Whale Suicide (strandings)." Wheelock College. Dec. 21, 2002. (3/8/2010) http://whale.wheelock.edu/archives/ask02/0291.html
- McCauley, Marissa. "Why do whales beach themselves?" Research Penn State. (3/8/2010) http://www.rps.psu.edu/probing/beachedwhales.html
- "Police baffled as dozens of 'suicidal' cows throw themselves off cliff in the Alps." Daily Mail. Aug. 28, 2009. (3/8/2010) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1209638/Scientists-baffled-suicidal-cows-throw-cliff-Switzerland.html#
- "Self-harm Seen in Animals Too." Field Notes from an Evolutionary Psychologist.
- March 24, 2008. (3/8/2010) http://newfoundlandnews.blogspot.com/2008/03/self-harm-seen-in-animals-too.html
- "Suicide." Merriam-Webster. (3/8/2010) http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/suicide
- "White Wilderness." Snopes. Aug. 19, 2007. (3/8/2010) http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/lemmings.asp