Lots More Information
Author's Note: What makes a beached whale explode?
Perhaps even more disturbing than an exploding whale is falling into a decomposing whale. One scientist warned that playing too close to a dead whale might result in a chest-deep swim through liquefied innards, which would require rescue [source: Narula].
- Arnold, Carrie. "Why does a decomposing whale explode?" National Geographic. May 2, 2014. (June 25, 2014) http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2014/05/02/animals-science-world-exploding-whale-blue/
- Associated Press. "Canadian town fears blue whale bursting." The Guardian. April 30, 2014. (June 24, 2014) http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/apr/30/canadian-town-fears-blue-whale-bursting
- Berko, Lex. "Why caskets occasionally explode." Vice. June 14, 2013. (June 25, 2014) http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/why-caskets-occasionally-explode
- Narula, Svati Kirsten. "A brief history of exploding whales." The Atlantic. April 30, 2014. (June 25, 2013) http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/04/exploding-whales/361444/
- Schonfeld, Zach. "Yes, beached whales really do explode." Newsweek. April 30, 20014. (June 25, 2014) http://www.newsweek.com/yes-beached-whales-really-do-explode-249223