When a 7.1 magnitude earthquake crumbled Mexico City in September 2017, Frida, a 7-year-old Labrador retriever, went to work. The linchpin of the Mexican navy's canine unit, Frieda scoured the city's shattered buildings sniffing out survivors trapped under the rubble. She was on the scene when rescuers found 11 children lodged under the detritus of what was the Enrique Rebsamen School. Two weeks earlier, she helped find the body of a police officer after an earthquake rocked the state of Oaxaca [sources: Castillo, Fox News].
Frida is no ordinary barker. She is the grande dame of rescue dogs. When a natural disaster or some other calamity strikes, younger dogs are told to sniff out the living or the dead. If the dogs detect a person, rescuers let Frida loose to confirm their findings. If she barks, someone is alive. If she finds a corpse, she suddenly stops, before moving very cautiously. It's not easy work. Frida has to crawl through spaces that humans cannot navigate, but as of 2017, she's detected 52 people and found 12 alive [sources: Castillo, Fox News].
Such exploits have made Frida a cult hero in Mexico. She's a Twitter sensation too, with fans saying she is a symbol of hope during times of tragedy. She also helps train new dogs on how to find survivors in natural disasters.
Other Great Links
- American Museum of Natural History. "Stubby." (Jan. 16, 2018). http://amhistory.si.edu/militaryhistory/collection/object.asp?ID=15
- Bougerol, E., CNN.com. "Ten Dogs that changed the world." (Jan. 16, 2018). http://www.cnn.com/2007/LIVING/wayoflife/11/01/ten.dogs/index.html
- Castillo, Andrew. "Meet Frida, the valiant Lab who's saved a dozen lives in Mexico." Los Angeles Times. Sept. 21, 2017. (Jan. 15, 2018). http://www.latimes.com/world/mexico-americas/la-fg-mexico-earthquake-frida-dog-20170921-story,amp.html
- CNN.com. "A Super serious project about dogs and physics." (Jan. 16 2018). http://cnnphotos.blogs.cnn.com/2013/03/04/a-super-serious-project-about-dogs-and-physics/
- Coren, Stanley. "The Pawprints of History: Dogs in the Course of Human Events." Free Press. 2002. (Jan. 15, 2018). https://books.google.com/books?id=JhflH2NIXxUC&pg=PA306&lpg=PA306&dq=Donnchadh+dog+robert+the+bruce&source=bl&ots=5de-2xEFfC&sig=ZSK59gOC4bOrtSMR3gvMrO1X9rg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjfhvOHjN3YAhXBt1MKHT-IBQMQ6AEIUjAM#v=onepage&q=Donnchadh%20dog%20rob&f=false
- Fox News.com. "Hero dog saves lives in Mexico." Sept. 22, 2017. (Jan. 15, 2018). http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/09/22/hero-dog-saves-lives-following-earthquake-in-mexico.html
- Kane Gillian. "Sergeant Stubby." Slate.com. May 7, 2014. (Jan. 16, 2018). http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/history/2014/05/dogs_of_war_sergeant_stubby_the_u_s_army_s_original_and_still_most_highly.html
- McG.Thomas Jr., Robert. "Marcel Ravidate is Dead at 72; Found Lascaux Cave Paintings. The New York Times. Mar. 31, 1995. (Jan. 15, 2018). http://www.nytimes.com/1995/03/31/obituaries/marcel-ravidat-is-dead-at-72-found-lascaux-cave-paintings.html
- Reichhardt, Tony. "Remembering Belka and Strelka." Air and Space Magazine. Aug. 19, 2010. (Jan. 16, 2018. https://www.airspacemag.com/daily-planet/remembering-belka-and-strelka-143143843/
- Selwood, Dominic. "On this day in 1940: The 15,000-year-old cave Paintings of Lascaux are discovered by Robot the Dog. The Telegram. Sept. 12, 2017. (Jan. 15, 2018). http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/12/day-1940-15000-year-old-cave-paintings-oflascaux-discovered/
- Shamleh, Abdelhadi Abu. "The Real Story of Amblin's Balto," American Kennel Club, (Feb. 26, 2018) http://www.akc.org/content/akc-history-archive/articles/balto/
- South Florida Siberian Husky Rescue, "The Story of Balto" (Feb. 26, 2018). http://www.sibrescue.com/balto.html
- Stall, Sam. "Peritas, Alexander the Great's Great Dog." EasyPetMD.com.(Jan. 15, 2018). http://www.easypetmd.com/peritas-alexander-greats-great-dog-sam-stall
- University of Chicago. "Peritas." (Jan. 16, 2018). http://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/encyclopaedia_romana/miscellanea/canes/peritas.html
- Whitehouse, David. "First dog in space died within hours." BBC.com. Oct. 28, 2002. (Jan. 16 2018). http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/2367681.stm
- Wellerstein, Alex. "Rmember Laika, Space Dog and Soviet Hero." The New Yorker. Nov. 3, 2017. (Jan. 16, 2018). https://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/remembering-laika-space-dog-and-soviet-hero
- Wolfstoria.com. "Charlie—President Kennedy's Welsh Terri er." Sept. 11, 2015. (Jan. 16, 2018). http://www.wolfstoria.com/1st-doggies/charlie-president-kennedys-welsh-terrier/
Dogs love rolling in stinky stuff — the smellier the better. HowStuffWorks talked to an expert to find out why.