Don't Let Curiosity Kill the Cat
Because their jungle instincts are still strong, cats feel safe hiding in small places and perching in high places where they can watch what's going on below. They are curious about new openings and opportunities.
Many cats will take up residence in an open suitcase, on top of the clean clothes you're packing. Some cats love stalking into and playing inside open paper bags. Watching Kitty play can be hilarious. But everyone in the family should be aware that Kitty's curiosity could lead her to explore dangerous spaces.
Here are some dangers to keep in mind:
- Open toilet lids. Kittens, especially, have fallen into toilets and drowned. Kitty might be poisoned by water with harsh cleansers in it.
- Closets, drawers and attics. If Kitty goes missing, check to make sure she isn't been trapped in her latest hiding place. Be especially careful before leaving home.
- Plastic bags. A paper bag may be a good plaything, but a plastic bag can smother your kitty.
- Clothes dryer. More than one cat has napped in an open dryer, only to find herself suddenly tossing about with wet clothes. Check before you turn the dryer on.
- Sewing basket. Kitty might think the sewing basket is a lovely bed, but those needles, pins and scissors might hurt her.
What does the well-equipped cat home have? Read on to find out.