Poodles require lots of grooming to keep them looking their best.
- Because poodles don't shed the hair they lose, it's necessary to comb out the loose hairs a few times a week [source: poodleclubbc.com].
- Poodles, like all other dogs, need a haircut from time to time. If you decide to give your poodle a home haircut, consider purchasing a set of clippers that includes a few attachments. Poodles usually have their hair trimmed at different lengths, depending on the location of the hair. Having clippers with a few attachments makes it easier to cut your poodle's hair to different lengths at different parts of his body [source: vetinfo.com].
- It's very important to bathe your poodle at least once a week. It's best to use a mild dog shampoo when bathing your poodle [source: poodleclubbc.com].
- Caring for your poodle's teeth is also an important part of keeping it well-groomed. Have your poodle's teeth cleaned professionally from time to time. In between professional cleanings, it's important to brush your poodle's teeth daily with canine tooth paste and a soft-bristled dog toothbrush with an angled handle [source: vetinfo.com].
- Your poodle's nails should be kept clean and trimmed. It's usually best to take your time and trim your poodle's nails slowly to avoid trimming them too short. The nails should be just short enough so that they don't touch the ground when it stands up.
- Light-colored poodles sometimes develop reddish-brown stains around their eyes due to excessive tearing. You can keep your poodle's eyes clean of tear stains by taking a cotton ball that's been moistened with a bit of water and wiping the corners of its eyes once a day. This will also prevent matter from building up [source: poodleclubbc.com].