Dogs vacation with their owners disproportionately more often than cats do. People vacationing with dogs comprise 78 percent of all people who vacation with pets, according to the U.S. Travel Association. But at feline-friendly resorts and spas, cats find the adoration and pampering they innately feel is their ancestral due. Typical accommodations include litter boxes, scratching posts, room-service menus, custom pet beds, and food and water bowls. The FireSky Resort and Spa in Scottsdale, Ariz., offers in-room spa packages for cats and their owners. Catnip toys, massages and birthday cakes are some of the pampering services provided at the W Hotels in New Orleans, and the Ritz-Carlton in New York offers "fashionable carry bags" for Fluffy to ride in during sightseeing excursions.
Resorts that cater to dogs offer similar amenities with a slightly more rigorous activity program. After canoeing down New River, visitors to the Dog House Resort in Jefferson, N.C., can relax in suites named after famous movie dogs. San Ysidro Ranch in Montecito, Calif., has 17 miles (more than 27 kilometers) of trails through the ranch gardens. Both pets and people can conclude the tour with in-room massages. Room-service menus, fenced play areas and pet-sitting services are standard fare at doggie resorts.
Use the links below to help you plan a fabulous pet-included vacation.
More Great Links
- American Automobile Association. "AAA Guide Book Identifies 'Most Accommodating Cities' for Travelers with Pets." AAA Newsroom. Sept. 26, 2006. (Jan. 10, 2009) http://www.aaanewsroom.net/main/Default.asp?CategoryID=8&ArticleID=480
- American Kennel Club. "A Beginner's Guide to Dog Shows." (Jan. 10, 2009) http://www.akc.org/events/conformation/beginners.cfm
- Appalachian Trail Conservancy. "About the Trail." (Jan. 10, 2009) http://www.appalachiantrail.org/about-the-trail
- Arkansas Department of Parks and Tourism. "Adventure Travel Trips & Fun Outdoor Activities in Arkansas." Official Tourism Site of the State of Arkansas. 2009. (Jan. 10, 2009) http://www.arkansas.com/outdoors
- BeachConnections.net. "Microbrewer Honors Famous Dog on Oregon Coast." Oregon Coast Beach Connection. June 9, 2008. (Jan. 10, 2009) http://www.beachconnection.net/news/beerdo060908_558.htm
- BringFido. "Dog Bowl III." Events. January 2009. (Jan. 10, 2009) http://bringfido.com/event/1509
- Bureau of Land Management. "About BLM." U.S. Department of the Interior. (Jan. 10, 2009) http://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en/info/About_BLM.html
- Bureau of Land Management, California. "Palen/McCoy Wilderness." U.S. Department of the Interior (Jan. 10, 2009) http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/prog/wilderness/wa/areas/palen-mccoy.html
- "Camping with Pets." PetTravelCenter. (Jan. 11, 2012) http://www.pettravelcenter.com/page_items/itemList/124
- Cat Fancier's Association (1). "Atlanta Selected to Host 2008 CFA International Cat Show." CFA International. September 2008. (Jan. 10, 2009) http://www.cfa.org/documents/press/2008Intl-show.pdf
- Cat Fancier's Association (2). "CFA Shows." (Jan. 10, 2009) http://www.cfa.org/client/shows.aspx
- Cat Fancier's Association (3). "Persian Named 'Best in Show' at the 2008 CFA International Cat Show." November 23, 2008. (Jan. 10, 2009) http://www.cfa.org/documents/press/2008-Intl-Show-Results.pdf
- Encyclopaedia Britannica, 15th edition 30 volumes. "Michigan." Macropaedia Volume 12, pg. 105. Chicago: Helen Hemingway Benton, Publisher, 1980.
- Georgia State and Historic Parks. "Watson Mill Bridge State Park." Georgia Department of Natural Resources. 2009. (Jan. 10, 2009) http://gastateparks.org/net/content/go.aspx?s=101.0.0.
- Greenberg, Peter. TravelDetective Bible. New York: Rodale, 2007.
- Langlois, Cherie. "Dog-Friendly Summer Travel Destinations." DogChannel.com (Jan. 10, 2009) http://www.dogchannel.com/dog-training/travelwithdogs/dog-friendly-summer-travel.aspx
- Maine Tours. "Bar Harbor Cruises." (Jan. 10, 2009) http://www.mainetours.net/tours/tourDetail.cfm?tour_id=9760
- Mantle, Stacy (1). "Kitty Comforts." Cat Fancy September 2008: 20-21.
- Mantle, Stacy (2). "The Good Life." Cat Fancy July 2008: 10-13.
- Mercury Chicago's Skyline Cruiseline. "Our Tours." (Jan. 10, 2009) http://www.mercuryskylinecruiseline.com/
- Michigan Department of Natural Resources (1). "Boating in Michigan." The Official State of Michigan Website. 2009. (Jan. 10, 2009) http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10365_10884---,00.html
- Michigan Department of Natural Resources (2). "Boating in Michigan is Fun." The Official State of Michigan Website. (Jan. 10, 2009) http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10365_10884-22788--,00.html
- Michigan.gov. "Frequently Asked Questions." About Michigan. Official State of Michigan Portal. (Jan. 10, 2009) http://www.michigan.gov/som/0,1607,7-192-29938_30243-103397--,00.html
- National Park Foundation. The Official Guide to America's National Parks, 13th Edition. New York: Fodor's Travel Publications, Inc., 2009.
- Nice, Jennifer. "Trail Rider's Vacation Destination Guide." Horse Illustrated July 2008: 34-38.
- Pets on the Go! "Transportation: Cruise lines/charters." (Jan. 10, 2009) http://www.petsonthego.com/transcruischrtr.html
- Robins, Sandy. "Great dog beaches around the country." MSNBC.com. July 30, 2008. (Jan. 10, 2009) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25800681
- Robins, Sandy. "Unleash Summer in pet-friendly wine country." MSNBC.com. April 16, 2008. (Jan. 10, 2009) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24097196
- Thornton, Kim Campbell. "Dogs Welcome: Resorts roll out the red carpet for canine guests." Dog Fancy July 2007: 24-27.
- United States Dog Agility Association Web site. (Jan. 11, 2012) http://www.usdaa.com/index.cfm
- Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources. "Enjoying Wisconsin State Parks with Your Pet." Dec. 29, 2006. (Jan. 10, 2009) http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/parks/pets
- Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources. "Wisconsin State Park System: Parks, Forests, Recreation Areas and Trail
We live in a sharing economy. And a pet-loving economy. So what happens when the two collide? Learn more about pets and carsharing at HowStuffWorks.