Your kids might not know that Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers liked to cut up a rug, or that John Travolta knew his way around the disco in "Saturday Night Fever," but they might enjoy dancing with their dog.
Doggie dancing is one of the newest, and perhaps coolest, activities humans and canines can do with one another. With just one search on YouTube and you can see that it looks like a ton of fun and is quite a craze -- one dancing dog video has 10.8 million views. The object is for your child (and you, if you want) to dance with your dog. Whether they're dancing the rumba, cha cha or the flamenco, the dogs don't have two left paws like most men.
Doggie dancing takes patience and time. It's not as easy as fetching a stick. However, doggie dancing lets your child use their imagination as they plan and choreograph the dance steps they would like to do with their pet. There are even doggie dancing competitions, and one lady has the dream of making it an Olympic sport [source: Leider]. She might be barking up the wrong tree.
More Great Links
- American Kennel Club. "The Dog Listener." (Aug. 19, 2011). http://www.akc.org/pdfs/PBSAF2.pdf
- ASPCA. "Fun Activities for Kids and Pets." (Aug. 19, 2011). http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/kids-and-pets/fun-activities-for-kids-and-pets.aspx
- ASPCA. "Teaching Your Dog to Play Fetch." (Aug. 19, 2011). http://www.aspcabehavior.org/articles/85/Teaching-Your-Dog-to-Play-Fetch.aspx
- ASPCA. "Teaching Your Dog to Play Hide-and-Seek." (Aug. 19, 2011). http://www.aspcabehavior.org/articles/86/Teaching-Your-Dog-to-Play-Hide-and-Seek-.aspx
- ASPCA. "Teaching Your Dog to Play Tug-of-War." (Aug. 19, 2011). http://www.aspcabehavior.org/articles/21/Teaching-Your-Dog-to-Play-Tug-of-War.aspx
- Dale, Steve. "Play Fetch with your Dog." Pet Peoples Place. (Aug. 19, 2011). http://www.petpeoplesplace.com/resources/articles/dogs/192-play-fetch-with-your-dog.htm
- Dog Training Academy. "Doggy Ball Training." (Aug. 19, 2011). http://www.dog-training-academy.com/news/ball-training.htm
- Dog Training Guide. "How to Teach Your Dog Tricks." (Aug. 19, 2011). http://www.dogtrainingguide.com/tricks.htm
- Indy Dog & Disc Club. (Aug. 22, 2011). http://www.d-dog.com/
- Indy Dog & Disc Club. "Frisbee Dog Basic Training Guide." (Aug. 22, 2011). http://www.d-dog.com/Downloads/GettingStarted.pdf
- Leider, Polly. "Sit, Heel, Fetch…Dance!" CBS News.com. Feb. 11, 2009. (Aug. 22, 2011). http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/22/earlyshow/contributors/debbyeturner/main1336142.shtml
- Ma, Lanh. "Ideas for Obstacle Toys for Dogs in the Backyard." The Daily Puppy." (Aug. 19, 2011). http://www.dailypuppy.com/articles/ideas-for-obstacle-toys-for-dogs-in-the-backyard/1d9b7d23-c1c2-9009-cb6b-7a61100ad9b7
- The Week. "The genius dog with a 1,022-word vocabulary." Jan. 18, 2011. (Aug. 19, 2011). http://theweek.com/article/index/211166/the-genius-dog-with-a-1022-word-vocabulary
- Yale University. "Landmarks in Yale's History." (Aug. 22, 2011). http://www.yale.edu/timeline/1920/index.html
- Your Dog Needs You. "FIFA World Cup 2010 Doggy Style." Dec. 30, 2010. (Aug. 19, 2011). http://yourdogneedsyou.com/about/dog-soccer/
In rat-infested New York City, the dogs of R.A.T.S. are working to rid the city of its burgeoning rat problem. HowStuffWorks goes along for the ride.