Charlie Brown's beagle, Snoopy, was an independent creature who often made his owner exclaim "Good Grief!" In reality, beagles make excellent family pets -- they are friendly, healthy and intelligent. Historically, beagles ran in packs, so they get along with other animals, and a beagle will befriend other household pets if trained and socialized properly. This dog is very relaxed and patient with kids, and can be a good childhood companion. Beagle puppies do require a lot of work, so if you already have young children, you might consider a more mature beagle.
Some things to think about with beagles -- this dog instinctively follows its nose. Regular exercise and daily walks help control this urge, but use a leash or have a fence when your beagle is outside just in case they sniff an interesting scent and want to trail in another direction.
Beagles are good family dogs because they enjoy being in the house, but don't take advantage of this. These dogs do best when left alone for no more than four or five hours at a time. If by itself for eight or more hours a day, a beagle may cause trouble or make noise. And while barking can be irritating, a beagle's baying will drive you batty. Like any loving, friendly animal, beagles do best with their people.
Give your beagle love, attention and a good dose of exercise, and it will be a family's lifelong friend.
- "AKC Meet the Breeds: Beagle." American Kennel Club. (July 22, 2011). http://www.akc.org/breeds/beagle/
- "AKC Meet the Breeds: Border Collie." American Kennel Club. (July 22, 2011). http://www.akc.org/breeds/border_collie/
- "AKC Meet the Breeds: Brittany." American Kennel Club. (July 22, 2011). http://www.akc.org/breeds/brittany/
- "AKC Meet the Breeds: Cocker Spaniel." American Kennel Club. (July 22, 2011). http://www.akc.org/breeds/cocker_spaniel/
- "AKC Meet the Breeds: Whippet." American Kennel Club. (July 22, 2011). http://www.akc.org/breeds/whippet/index.cfm
- Dakss, Brian. "Best Dog Breeds For Your Family." CBSNews.com February 11, 2009. (July 26, 2011). http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/04/27/earlyshow/contributors/debbyeturner/main691213_page2.shtml?tag=contentMain;contentBody
- "Beagle Breed Information." National Beagle Club of America. (August 1, 2011). http://clubs.akc.org/NBC/breed_info.html
- "Beagles." Terrificpets.com. (August 9, 2011). http://www.terrificpets.com/dog_breeds/Beagle.asp
- "Border Collie Rescue; Where Every Dog Has His Day." (August 1, 2011). http://www.bcrescue.org/bcwarning.html
- "Cocker Spaniels." Terrificpets.com. (August 9, 2011). http://www.terrificpets.com/dog_breeds/cocker_spaniel.asp
- "Does Size Matter?" The Dog Guide. 2006. (July 22, 2011). http://www.dogguide.net/size.php
- Dog Breed Directory. Animal Planet. (July 25, 2011). http://animal.discovery.com/breedselector/dogselectorindex.do
- "Dog Breeds: Medium." Good Housekeeping. (July 25, 2011). http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/family/pets/medium-sized-dogs
- Fogle, Bruce. "Dog Owner's Manual." DK Publishing. 2003.
- "Medium Dogs." Dogguide.net. (July 27, 2011). http://www.dogbreeds.net/medium-dogs.html
- "Medium Size Dog Breeds." AnimalsHospitals-Usa.com. (July 25, 2011). http://www.animalhospitals-usa.com/dogs/dog-breed-characteristics/medium-size-dogs.html
- "Welton, Michele. "Beagle Temperament: What's Good about 'Em, What's Bad about 'Em." 2011. (August 9, 2011). http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/beagles.html
- Welton, Michele. "Border Collie Temperament: What's Good about 'Em, What's Bad about 'Em." 2011. (August 9, 2011). http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/bordercollies.html
- "What is a Whippet?" The American Whippet Club. (August 3, 2011). http://www.americanwhippetclub.net/awcpages/whipfaq.html
It's not uncommon for older dogs to lose their sight or even their hearing as they age. But can they lose their ability to smell, too?