As sad as it may seem, there are times when you must make your dog to throw up in order to save its life. If your dog has swallowed a foreign object, dangerous food or chemicals, you must make it throw up before the substance has time to be absorbed by its body. It is strongly recommended that you contact a vet before trying to induce vomiting by any of these methods [source: Ruben]. Read the tips listed below and learn about how to make a dog throw up.

  • Hydrogen peroxide Giving your dog 3 percent hydrogen peroxide is an effective and safe way to make it throw up whatever item it swallowed. Give one teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide for every 10 pounds (4.5 kilograms) of body weight. You can administer the hydrogen peroxide with an eyedropper or a syringe aimed to the back of your dog's throat. This method will take up to 20 minutes to take effect. If it doesn't work, you can give your dog hydrogen peroxide up to three times in a row [source: Dog Health Doc].
  • Syrup of ipecac Though syrup of ipecac may be effective in inducing vomiting in children, it may be toxic for your dog. Consult with a veterinarian to see if this method is acceptable for your pet [source: Ruben].

Be aware that there are times when you should not induce your dog to vomit whatever it is that it's ingested. Do not induce vomiting if:

  • It swallowed a sharp object.
  • It swallowed acid, alkali, petroleum-based products or household cleaning products. In this case consult with a vet before inducing vomiting.
  • It swallowed something that clearly states not to induce vomiting on the label [source: Dog Health Doc].