Lots More Information
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
More Great Links
- 2007 Media Guide. http://www.iditarod.com.
- 2008 Iditarod Race Rules. http://www.iditarod.com.
- Alexander, Brian. "Mushing: It's an Alaska Thing. You Wouldn't Understand." Outside magazine. March 1995.
- "Are Dogs Abused? Depends Who You Ask." Associated Press. Mar. 5, 2005.
- Ballard, Chris. "A Dogged Race." Sports Illustrated. Mar. 8, 2004.
- Connolly, Kelly E., M.S. Issues Specialist, Companion Animals, The Humane Society of the United States. Personal interview. February 4, 2008.
- Glickman, Margery. Director, Sled Dog Action Coalition. Personal interview. February 4, 2008.
- Goldberg, Cary. "In Alaska's Long Winter, a Mardi Gras for Mushers." New York Times. Mar. 13, 1997.
- Handwer, Brian. "Dogs Are 'True Heroes' of Iditarod, Race Champ Says. National Geographic News. November 13, 2002.
- Hollander, Zaz. "Musher Found Guilty of Not Giving Team Enough Food, Water." Anchorage Daily News. Apr. 7, 2005.
- Hunter, Don. "Musher Winkler Guilty; 4 Cruelty Counts Stick in Death of Puppies." Anchorage Daily News. Apr. 11, 1992.
- Medred, Craig. "Iditarod Board Raises Entry Fee Considerably." Anchorage Daily News. June 2, 2007.
- Medred, Craig. "Top Teams from 2004 Will Return." Anchorage Daily News. Dec. 3, 2004.
- Mitchell, T.C. "Musher withdraws lien against Mat-Su borough." Anchorage Daily News. Jan. 13, 2008. http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/story/263440.html
- O'Harra, Doug and Phillips, Natalie. "Wanted: Healthy, happy dogs." Anchorage Daily News. Feb. 5, 2006. http://www.adn.com/iditarod/1997/story/283083.html
- Pemberton, Mary. "Iditarod Board Suspends Musher for Abuse." ABC News. May 18, 2007. http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=3191066
- Runquist, Pam. Director of Companion Animal Issues, Association of Veterinarians for Animal Rights. Personal interview. February 4, 2008.
- Saraceno, Jon. "Iditarod Disgrace: As Death Toll of Dogs Rises, So Does the Race's Purse." USA Today. Mar. 15. 2004. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/saraceno/2004- 03-14-saraceno_x.htm
- Wathne, Lisa. Captive Exotic Animal Specialist, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. Personal interview. February 4, 2008.