Don't freak out! Like rats, snakes are often misunderstood. Stay away from larger snake varieties -- and, of course, anything poisonous -- and you'll find that snakes can actually be pretty cool pets for kids. The most popular variety is the corn snake, which is nonvenomous and will only grow to about 4 or 5 feet (1.2 to 1.5 meters) in length. If you adopt a young corn snake, it'll become accustomed to you very quickly, happily curling up in your hands for warmth. Your pet snake will need an aquarium (make sure there are no weak spots, to prevent escape), fresh water and a heat source. And, of course, they have to eat -- which is where some people get tripped up. Snakes are carnivores, consuming a rodent about once a week. Most captive-bred snakes are fine with pre-killed prey, which can be easily procured at a pet store. If that aspect of snake ownership isn't a problem, then the snake can offer your child many happy years of reptilian fun.
- Ant-Farms.com. "Taking Care of your Ants." (March 4, 2011)http://www.ant-farms.com/taking-care-of-your-ants.html
- ASPCA. "Guinea Pig Care." (March 1, 2011)http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/small-pet-care/guinea-pig-care.aspx
- Bertrand, Lynne. "First Pets for Kids: The Guinea Pig." Wondertime.Com. (February 28, 2011)http://wondertime.go.com/life-at-home/article/first-pets-guinea-pig.html
- Best Pet Lizard.com. "Choosing the best pet reptile." (March 1, 2011)http://bestpetlizard.com/
- Cornett, Brandon. "Reptiles as Pets for Children: Advice for Parents." (March 3, 2011)http://www.reptileknowledge.com/articles/article21.php
- Davis, Ken. "Ten reasons to adopt an older cat." Canadian Federation of Humane Societies. February 2002. (February 28, 2011)http://cfhs.ca/athome/ten_reasons_to_adopt_an_older_cat/
- Discover-Pet-Rats.com. "Pet rat care: Wonderfully simple!" (March 2, 2011)http://www.discover-pet-rats.com/pet-rat-care.html
- Kauffmann, Melissa. "The best pet birds for kids." BirdChannel.com. (February 28, 2011)http://www.birdchannel.com/kids-bird-club/great-birds-for-kids/best-pet-birds-for-kids.aspx
- Kennedy, Alix. "First Pets: Rats!" (March 2, 2011)http://wondertime.go.com/life-at-home/article/first-pets-rats.html
- RASA Rescue. "Hamster/Mice/Gerbil Care." (February 28, 2011)http://www.rasarescue.org/photos/hamstercare.pdf
- The F.U.N. Place. "Hermit Crabs." (February 27, 2011)http://www.thefunplace.com/house/pets/hermit.html
- Watkins, Anne Culbreath. "The Beautiful Betta Fish." ChildrenToday.com. (March 3, 2011)http://www.childrentoday.com/articles/pets/the-beautiful-betta-fish-1824/
Bearded dragons are popular pet reptiles, because they are low-maintenance and surprisingly lovable. Here's how to care for your breaded dragon.