Lots More InformationRelated HowStuffWorks Articles
- How Polar Bears Work
- How Vitamin A Works
- Hypervitaminosis A
- What Alaskan plants and animals are the best food sources?
- What does global warming have to do with the decline in the polar bear population?
- Polar Bears International
- Hypervitaminosis A on MedlinePlus
- International Federation of Competitive Eating
- AZA Bear Tag. "Polar Bear (Ursus maritimus)." Association of Zoos and Aquariums Standardizes Animal Care Guidelines. 2007. (June 25, 2008) http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/rsrc/FinalPolarBearSG2007.pdf
- Brown, Dan. "Vitamin A Toxicity." Cornell University Department of Animal Science. (June 25, 2008) http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/courses/as625/625vita.html
- "Calories in Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs." Calorie-Count. 2008. (June 25, 2008) http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/item/83271.html
- Eliasen, Mogens. "The Dangerous(?) Vitamin A." K9joy Education. May 2, 2005. (June 25, 2008) http://k9joy.com/dogarticles/vitaminA.php
- Hicks, R. Marian. "The scientific basis for regarding vitamin A and its analogues as anti-carcinogenic agents." Proceedings of the Nutrition Society. 1983. http://journals.cambridge.org/download.php?file=%2FPNS%2FPNS42_01% 2FS0029665183000142a.pdf&code=e4ce569b2b8189bd533e435a6523a1b7
- Higdon, Jane. "Vitamin A." Linus Pauling Institute at Oregon State University. 2007. (June 25, 2008) http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/vitaminA/
- "Hypervitaminosis A." Medline Plus. Aug. 8, 2006. (June 25, 2008) http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000350.htm
- International federation of Competitive Eating. (June 25, 2008) http://www.ifoce.com/records.php
- Lintzenich, Barbara, et al. "Formulating Diets for Polar Bears in Captivity." Brookfield Zoo Conservation Biology and Research Center. http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/pbhc/lintzenich.htm
- Mos, Lizzy and Peter S. Ross. "Vitamin A physiology in the precocious harbor seal (Phoca vitulina): A tissue-based biomarker approach." Canadian Journal of Zoology. September 2002. http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/nrc/cjz/2002/00000080/00000009/art00003
- Penniston, Kristina L. and Sherry A. Tanumihardjo. "The acute and chronic toxic effects of vitamin A." The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2006. http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/83/2/191
- Rodahl, K. and T. Moore. "The Vitamin A Content and Toxicity of Bear and Seal Liver." The University of Cambridge Dunn Nutritional Laboratory and Medical Research Council. 1942. http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1257872
- Slaughter, Kip. E-mail interview. Conducted June 26, 2008.
- "Vitamin A." Britannica Online Encyclopedia. 2008. (June 25, 2008) http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/630964/vitamin-A
More To Explore