Nothing says, "You've been a good dog" more than the scrumptious taste of peanut butter treats. Make a batch of pea-nutty nibbles for your pet and he's sure to reward you with a nice long snooze at your feet.
To make these treats, start by mixing 2 cups of whole wheat flour with a half-cup cup of oatmeal and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon. Next, combine a half-cup of creamy peanut butter, a half-cup of water and a half-cup of chicken broth, and then microwave it for 15 to 30 seconds – just until it forms a smooth liquid. Add the mixture to your dry ingredients and stir until dough forms.
Drop the dough into small rounds and have your kids use their thumbs to press a well into each cookie as they flatten it. Place the pea-nutty nibbles on a cookie sheet that's been lightly coated with a non-stick spray. Bake at 325 degrees (160 degrees Celsius) for 15 minutes and allow the treats to cool in the oven. Let your kids fill the cookie wells with sugar-free jelly or jam and then feed them to your dog. He'll be the happiest hound on the block.
- American Kennel club. Nutrition and Feeding. (March 18, 2012) http://www.akc.org/public_education/nutrition_feeding.cfm
- Bullwrinkle. Homemade Dog Treat Birthday Cake. (March 18, 2012) http://www.bullwrinkle.com/Assets/Recipes/Birthday%20Cake%20for%20Pups.htm
- Dog Treat Kitchen. Classic Peanut Butter Dog treats. (March 18, 2012) http://www.dogtreatkitchen.com/peanut-butter-dog-treats-with-jam.html
- Dog Treat Recipe Exchange. Carob Dog Treat Recipes. (March 18, 2012) http://www.dog-treat-recipe-exchange.com/carob-dog-treat-recipes
- Dog Treat Recipes. Low Fat Carrot Dog Treats. (March 18, 2012) http://www.dogtreatrecipes.org/healthy-dog-treats-low-fat-carrot-dog-treats-recipe.html
- Moore, Shannon. Dog treat aficionada. Personal communication. (March 18, 2012)
In rat-infested New York City, the dogs of R.A.T.S. are working to rid the city of its burgeoning rat problem. HowStuffWorks goes along for the ride.