Hotel Requirements for Pets
Most pet-friendly hotels have the same basic requirements for pets:
- Must not be aggressive
- Must be clean
- Must not have fleas
- Must have proof of current vaccinations
- Must use designated areas and owners must clean pet waste immediately and dispose of in designated receptacles
Pet owners are usually required to sign agreements stating they will be financially responsible for any damage caused by the pet and any expenses incurred by the hotel for pet disturbances.
Other common requirements include a non-refundable pet guest fee or a refundable deposit to guard against damages [source: Inns By The Sea].
What happens when your room -- or your pet -- gets dirty? When this happens, most pet-friendly hotels will request that you remove the pet from the room during housekeeping, and most prefer that you do not bathe your pet in the hotel bathtub. Pet-friendly hotels must maintain the quality of their rooms no matter what the circumstance, so many ask that you clean dirt or sand from your pet's paws before letting it enter the room. Some even supply special pet towels and wipes to streamline this process.
Some pet-friendly hotels are friendlier than others. Some supply emergency food, waste-disposal bags, dog leashes, kennels and carriers, pet beds and bedding, treats, gifts, and even pet services, including grooming, walking, sitting and veterinary care [source: PetsCanStay].
Although some hotels understand how important your pet is to you and may even want to pamper it, others are less understanding. Unfortunately, it may be easier for you to leave your pet at home. On the other hand, if you're ready to book your vacation and would like more information on pet travel and pet-friendly hotels, visit the links below.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
More Great Links
- Dunsmuir Lodge. "Amenities." (Accessed 01/14/09) http://www.dunsmuirlodge.net/amenities.php
- Inns By The Sea. Svendsgaard's Inn. " Pet Policy." (Accessed 01/14/09) http://www.innsbythesea.com/pet-policy.htm
- Pets Can Stay "Standard." (Accessed 01/14/09) http://www.petscanstay.com/certification/standards--standard.php
- Pets Can Stay "Premium." (Accessed 01/14/09) http://www.petscanstay.com/certification/standards--premium.php
- Schoolhouse Creek. "Pet Policy." (Accessed 01/14/09) http://www.schoolhousecreek.com/display.asp?pageid=34&catid=1
- The Beach House Inn. "Services and Amenities." (Accessed 01/14/09) http://www.thebeachhouseinn.com/html/santa-barbara-pet-friendly-lodging.asp
- The Beverly Hills Hotel and Bungalows. "Canine Connoisseur Program." (Accessed 01/14/09) http://www.thebeverlyhillshotel.com/hotel_facilities/pets.html
- The Palms at Pelican Cove. "Pet Friendly Hotel Accommodations at the Palms." (Accessed 01/14/09) http://www.palmspelicancove.com/petfriendly.php
- Travelodge. "Pet-Friendly Locations." (Accessed 01/14/09) http://www.travelodge.com/Travelodge/control/pet_friendly?variant=
- TripAdvisor. "Howard Jonson Inn Tulsa: Traveler Reviews." (Accessed 01/14/09) http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g51697-d142045-r18431888-Howard_Johnson_Inn_Tulsa-Tulsa_Oklahoma.html
- Viewpoints. "The Grand Hotel-GrandCanyon, AZ Review." (Accessed 01/14/09)http://www.viewpoints.com/The-Grand-Hotel-Grand-Canyon-AZ-review-b96b