Lots More Information
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Is an ancient sea scorpion the largest bug to live on Earth?
- How long can you go without food and water?
- Why would you take poison as medicine?
- How Spiders Work
- How Ticks Work
- Could platypus poison kill me?
- Are Komodo dragons' mouths deadlier than cobras' venom?
- How can someone die from drinking too much water?
- Can humans survive on air alone?
- How Desert Survival Works
More Great Links
- Angier, Natalie. "The Scorpion, Bizarre and Nasty, Recruits New Admirers." The New York Times. Nov. 27, 1990. (Oct. 10, 2008)http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C0CE4DC1239F934A15752C1A966958260&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all
- "A taste for scorpion venom could be cancer's undoing." New Scientist. Oct. 2, 2008. (Oct. 10, 2008)http://www.newscientist.com/channel/health/mg20026764.400-a-taste-for-scorpion-venom-could-be-cancers-undoing.html
- Britt, Robert Roy. "Scorpion Venom Tested As Brain Cancer Treatment." LiveScience. June 27, 2006. (Oct. 10, 2008)http://www.livescience.com/health/060627_scorpion_venom.html
- Gouge, Dawn H.; Smith, Kirk A.; Olson, Carl; and Baker, Paul. "Scorpions." Cooperative Extension, College of Agriculture & Life Sciences, University of Arizona. (Oct. 9, 2008)http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/insects/az1223/
- Handwerk, Brian. "Scorpions Thrive Where Least Expected." National Geographic News. June 24, 2003. (Oct. 10, 2008)http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/pf/51977422.html
- Hodgson, Erin W.; Lambert, Brooke A.; and Roe, Alan H. "Scorpions." Utah State University Extension and Utah Plant Pest Diagnostic Laboratory. June 2008. (Oct. 10, 2008)http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/factsheet/ENT-68-08.pdf
- Leerning, Jonathan. "Scorpions of South Africa." Struik. 2003. (Oct. 10, 2008)http://books.google.com/books?id=vQFEeohchVQC
- Lighton, John R.; Brownell, Philip H.; Joos, Barbara; and Turner, Robbin J. "Low Metabolic Rate in Scorpions: Implications for Population Biomass and Cannibalism." Journal of Experimental Biology. Jan. 21, 2001. (Oct. 10, 2008)http://jeb.biologists.org/cgi/reprint/204/3/607.pdf
- Polis, Gary A. "The Biology of Scorpions." Standford University Press. 1990. (Oct. 10, 2008)http://books.google.com/books?id=6OqeAAAAIAAJ