There are a number of safety concerns associated with riding a motorcycle -- adding a pet to the equation creates even more. Your safety and the safety of your pet should come first when taking a motorcycle trip together.
As we discussed earlier, one of the most important aspects is ensuring that you have a proper carrier. Sturdy pet crate carriers that mount securely to your bike are really the only acceptable option on the market. There are a number of carriers out there designed to look cool on your motorcycle, but they aren't necessarily safe, so keep that in mind when you're picking one out [source: Road Hound]. Also be sure to take some rides with the new pet carrier attached. It may take some getting used to. And your pet may move around a lot, causing the crate to shift from side to side.
The minute your pet becomes a distraction on the road, it becomes a safety hazard. When you're distracted driving your motorcycle, you're putting yourself and everyone else on the road in danger. Make sure your pet is secure, safe and placed where it won't distract you on your bike. Make regular pit stops to check on your animal.
As we all know, weather can be unpredictable and may create unsafe road conditions. If you're an experienced rider you've probably encountered it all. In fact, you probably have clothing to protect you from anything Mother Nature throws your way. Keep in mind that you'll need similar accessories to protect your pet, many of which will come with your pet carrier [source: Majon]. If the weather gets bad, it may be safest to pull over and wait it out. Just be smart.
You also need to plan your trip carefully. If you're going someplace where you won't be able to buy food and water for you pet, you need to bring plenty along. Don't forget to bring any necessary medication along as well.
It's not hard to keep you and your pet safe while you travel on your motorcycle. It just takes a few extra steps and careful planning. For more information, visit the links below.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Cat Scans. "Amazing facts about cats!" (Jan. 27, 2009)http://www.catscans.com/facts.htm
- The Puppy Network. "Fun Dog Facts @ The Puppy Network." (Jan. 27, 2009)http://www.thepuppynetwork.com/dogdaily/fundogfacts.html
- Majon International. "A Motorcycle Pet Carrier Allows You to Take Your Pet Along." (Jan. 27, 2009)http://www.majon.com/articles/Pets_and_Supplies/motorcycle_pet_carrier_722.html
- Majon International. "How to Avoid Motorcycle Pet Carrier Dangers." (Jan. 27, 2009)http://www.majon.com/articles/Pets_and_Supplies/motorcycle_pet_carrier_723.html
- Moto-Pets Accessories, Inc. "Pet Safety." (Jan. 27, 2009)http://www.road-hound.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=18